Friday 9 October 2015

It's All Grand #NoLikesNeeded #Dove



Today I've seen blogs which tie in with the Dove #NoLikesNeeded campaign and thought I'd add my thruppance worth. The premise of the campaign is that we don't need "likes" from others, and our own "like" for ourselves is the only one that counts. I largely agree with this sentiment. Ciara O'Doherty and Leanne Woodfull have done better posts on this, but I think it ties in nicely with the ethos behind Alternative Fashion Fest too, regarding self acceptance etc., so here goes.... 


I feel massively sorry for younger people today, or even people of my age who haven't gotten to that "well I think I'm alright and so do my nearest and dearest, so feck the rest of them" stage. Some people never get to it. But I think it's harder for younger people because they're used to an age where social media and how popular you are on it, is regarded as everything. It can seriously mess with your head if you take it all too seriously and feel you have to document every moment of your life and get loads of likes on it, or else. 



Regarding my own "selfies" - for some reason, people like them on FB, but on Instagram, they're about as popular as a fart in a lift. And that's grand. I normally stick to posting pics of other people anyway on Instagram - the beautiful models in Ireland who I pale in comparison to anyway. It's just funny to observe what gets liked on which site, and what doesn't. But I don't think "urgh, what an ugly piece of crap I am" if a selfie gets no likes. I just think "well love you're 41 and no-one has ever heard of you. They want to see proper experienced models"  (being signed to an agency, which I am - Frasers -  doesn't count when you haven't actually had any work from them!). So I'm okay with that, I'm grand, and delighted to promote others who deserve to be shown to the world, because they are absolutely beautiful. 



There was a profile pic competition on an Irish Pin Ups page recently and just for the craic I submitted a pic. Told no-one but my boyfriend. I wanted to see if it got any likes without lobbying for any. It got 13 (most got hundreds) and again, that was grand. At 41 I was doing well to get any. Again, all grand and just a bit of fun. 



So ladies and gents, if you can have a relaxed attitude towards feedback on posts and pics on social media and even in other areas of life, you'll be fine. If one post, or a few posts aren't popular, what of it? You're alive and you have blessings in your life - loved ones, and whatever other things are going on for you. Some of your posts will be popular and some won't. Some people will respond to you and some won't. Maybe the ones who didn't were just busy. Don't start thinking "aaargh, no-one likes me, I'm worthless". No you're not, you're just not the centre of everyone's universe, just like they are not the centre of yours (if they are, there is something wrong and you need to work on your self esteem). 



Relax and enjoy your life. Everybody has a worthwhile life to lead. All of us. Enjoy "real" life and don't elevate social media above its rightful place. Yes, it's part of all our lives, but don't ever judge your worth by it. Again, YOUR "like" is what matters, regarding yourself xx