Tuesday 8 September 2015

"Selling" a Brand or Event - My Baptism of Fire




There are many experts on marketing - some really do know what they are talking about, like Jonathan and Susanna from The Social Ms, Samantha Kelly (Tweeting Goddess), or Ted Rubin (whose philosophy I had before being introduced to him, but I didn't have a term for it). Some, however, as evidenced from, say, their Twitter profiles, could do with a few lessons themselves, in my layperson's opinion.

I wouldn't dream of calling myself any kind of expert on anything - all I can do is tell you what my own thoughts are, and what I've experienced, regarding trying to get something off the ground, or even just from my own experiences on personal social media accounts. Some of you may agree with me and some may not.

For a start, I have NO formal marketing qualifications, that's right, zilch. I did my Leaving Cert and then a year of secretarial college (I don't think those kinds of courses even exist now - at 41, I'm that old!). Anything I've learned is from work experience and having an interest in the way stories are presented, in psychology, and in what really goes on behind the scenes. I did work in a marketing company, and got to sit in on a few brainstorming meetings, but basically I was an administrator / secretary. I was offered the chance to change to the marketing team but turned it down, feeling at the time that I wasn't outgoing enough. Sometimes I wonder about what might have been, but everything happens for a reason and it just wasn't right for me.

Besides, I can only promote something if I'm enthusiastic about it myself. Working in a company where I had to promote products or brands I had little or no interest in, or didn't feel any passion about, wouldn't result in me doing a good job of marketing them. I'm just that kind of person.

Nobody likes a pushy sales person, right? Maybe I've just been unlucky, but like many, I've had some quite unpleasant experiences with sales people who just didn't know when to give up when I'd made it clear I wasn't interested in the product. Or sometimes they'd put me off even exploring the product, with their overbearing manner. Similarly, none of us like it when the name of that "friend" who only contacts us when they want something, appears on our caller ID or inbox.

Well, I never wanted to be either of those people, and I still don't. Yes, I have an event to publicise, and try to obtain help for and involvement with. Yes, I've politely emailed companies and asked them. I've tweeted a few companies too. But above all, I believe engagement is key, and giving more than taking, when it comes to social media. Be willing to plug other people. Thank them if and when they do the same for you. Do you know what, I've rarely had to ask anyone for an RT (that's another thing I don't really like doing, not tagging people directly anyway). But I've gotten lots of RTs on the local Alternative Fashion Fest account. Because I've engaged with other people, taken an interest in what they were tweeting about, complimented them (I don't compliment unless I mean it), or thanked them for info or acknowledgement.

The local Alternative Fashion Fest account is slowly building up followers. As to who to follow, and how does one engage, well, being 41, and admittedly, a bit clueless as to who the big shots in the fashion world are, and in particular the alternative fashion world, I did a lot of googling! I looked up who the editors of magazines were, etc. As well as that, I looked up local articles on who were the most influential people on Twitter, the "ones to watch". It was like a spider's web - one bit of it led to another, and went off on different tangents, and I'm still learning.

For instance, the bloggers - I wasn't aware there were so many in Ireland and that they were so important in the industry. Yes, I was that out of touch!

But anyway - engage, engage, engage, and give, give, give. If I said nothing else in this blog, that would be the main message I'd want to get across. Most people are very nice, despite what the doom and gloom merchants say, and they will respond positively. I've been surprised at how delighted some people were when I've shared an article and/or complimented them on it.

Similarly, the beautiful models I've given a plug to on Twitter and/or Instagram - they really do appreciate it. Only one or two failed to acknowledge it, and to be honest, as would be the case with most people, that hasn't gone unnoticed, and it's probably unlikely they'd keep getting plugged by our account. A simple "thank you" is remembered on social media.

Building awareness of a brand, product or event takes time. The temptation is often to go in, hell for leather, and do the hard sell. But speaking as someone who, like most people, has been on the receiving end of such aggressive techniques, that's really not the way to go about things, well, in my opinion. I'm a "gently does it" type of person and I genuinely like chatting with people even if they never did a thing for me and what I'm trying to promote. At least though, they might remember me as a pleasant person on social media and not someone who was badgering them. I'm representing both the Alternative Fashion Fest and myself, and I don't want to let either down. Manners are extremely important.

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've found that over the years, the responses I've gotten, even from quite famous people (in the UK, not just Ireland) have been very positive, and I've had lots of follows and interaction on previous personal accounts. I'm not afraid to ask for something if I have to, but I'll do it very politely, and I'll show a genuine interest and concern for the person. People respond to that. Show warmth, always.

Have a goal, yes. For our event, for example, yes we do need a venue, and all that goes along with a charity fashion show including people spreading the word. And we'll get those. But above all, be human, and let people get to know your social media account, as one that is run by nice people. That does more for your brand than you realise.